Barnes County Secondary Girls' School (formerly Barnes Central Girls' School)
1921-1969
Archives
Find it!
Total copies: 1
Administrative records for Barnes County Secondary Girls' School, and its predecessor school, Barnes Central Girls' School.
Title:
Barnes County Secondary Girls' School (formerly Barnes Central Girls' School)
Date of work:
1921-1969
Reference number:
S13
Level of description:
Fonds
Includes:
Arrangement:
Barnes Central Boys' School (ref: S12) opened in January 1921 at Lonsdale Road, Barnes. Barnes Central School for Girls moved to the same site in January 1931, but each school had its own staff and administration, and separate accommodation on the same site, so the records of the Boys' and Girls' Schools have been catalogued separately. When Barnes Central Girls' School ceased to be selective in 1945, and became known as Barnes County Secondary Girls' School, the administrative functions continued, with the records of Barnes Central Girls' School remaining in use. The records of Barnes County Secondary Girls' School and Barnes Central Girls' School have therefore been catalogued together. When the school closed in July 1967, all the administrative functions of the single sex girls' school ceased, so the new mixed school which opened in September 1967, Barnes County Secondary School, has been catalogued separately (ref: S14).
Access restrictions:
Restrictions varySee restrictions at individual file level.
Use restrictions:
UnknownCopyright to be determined.
General notes:
Barnes Central Girls' School opened in January 1921 as a non-selective Central School. It moved to Lonsdale Road, Barnes in 1931, to the same site as Barnes Central Boys' School (ref: S12). The schools ceased to be central schools in 1945, and became Barnes County Secondary Boys' School and Barnes County Secondary Girls' School. Both schools closed in July 1969, and re-opened as a secondary mixed school known as Barnes County Secondary School (ref: S14) in September 1969.
Related material note:
The following are located at The National Archives:Department of Education and Science: Secondary Schools Digest Files, 1900-1959, ref: ED 162/1956Ministry of Education: Public Elementary School Files, 1936-1939, ref: ED 21/61580Board of Education and Successors: HM Inspectorate: Reports on Secondary Institutions, 1947-1956, ref: ED 109/9106/2Correspondence relating to the school 1928-1933 is located at Surrey History Centre, ref: CC120/264
Language:
English
Record number:
1496331
Find it!
Total copies: 1
